It is official, yes, I am the worst christmas present shopper ever!!
Some of the biggest offenses to date:
1. Buying your son a game for the wrong system.
2. Buying a game he already has.
3. Buying the right game but again for the wrong system.
4. Buying clothes the wrong size, colour, or basically the wrong clothes!
5. Buying a gift, hiding it and then not finding it!
AS you can see basically all the gifts barring the Batman car at age 3, have been a mistake, after that it was crush the hope and idealism out of the giving season!
Of course I justify it by saying “no one helps me”, meaning my poor husband, or I say “xmas is not all about gifts” or “he will be a more resiliant person because of this. Yes, I am passing the buck, and dodging the responsibility.
As as adult he will either have no expectations about the holidays or will be the parent who clears the aisles at Toys R Us.
There is hope I have a younger child, who will be a shopper and after I have smashed her idealism, she will be the kind that takes over.
My niece gave me this advice, Just find a great gift idea and buy them that. HELLO! That part, the great gift idea is the problem……
So hopefully when he is 35, it will be funny and a great story, rather than the sad pathetic realism we experience every year.
- How Many Gifts Are Too Many? (imnotthenanny.com)
- Should I be gifting my nieces and nephews or not? (ask.metafilter.com)